Monday, July 26, 2010

Home-made Wedding Veil!

Hi everyone!
So unfortunately we still do not have our internet working at our new place so pictures for posts aren't possible yet but I'm hoping to have the problem fixed tonight! Then we'll be back with some projects for the house.  I apologize for the boring picture-less post:(

In the meantime, let me tell you what I was up to this week when I wasn't unpacking:) As I hinted at, a decided to make a veil for my friend's wedding.  Since I can't post pics and I know bride's like to keep the attire a secret...you won't see it til her wedding day in a few weeks...but I'll tell you how I did it for now!  If you have the time and energy, this project is about three hours long in front of the tv I suppose...some may be faster than myself but that is what it took me!

Supplies:
Tulle - color/shade of your choosing, I used about a meter and a half. $10
Scissors- on hand
veil comb - on hand(took apart my veil, haha) but these can also be found at Michaels or walmart maybe?
Quilting thread - $3
Sewing needle - on hand
a pattern to trace that is the shape you want for the veil- used the bottom of my wedding dress.
any beads/lace you would like for decor $ 4

And that's it!  All in all, cost about 17 dollars and a few hours of time.  This veil was two layers so I'll tell you how to do one with that, though its easy to condense for one layer.

Step 1:
-Lay out the tulle and make sure it is the width you would like...the width it came in worked for me so no problem!
-Go to one end of the veil and lay it over you pattern, trace out the shape. To make sure both sides are even I folded the material in half and cut both sides at the same time


Step 2:
- Decide on the length of the veil - I measured just by laying beside the tulle to gauge how long it would be...worked for me! Fold it over and cut it at this length.

Step 3:
Repeat steps 1 & 2 for the 2nd half of the veil which likely will be a few inches shorter.

Step 3:
Take your comb which will look something like this:


 They usually come with holes in them to make it easy to sew onto.

Lay the comb right side up and the veil wrong side up on top so that when place in the hair the veil will fall and cover the sewing work with the right side out.  This will give the veil a little pouf at the top as well.  The sewing work on the inside will be hidden once placed on the head.

Step 4:
Lay both layers of the veil together so that the center is in the center of the comb. Start sewing from the center out to one side, then repeat to the other side.  I did this by sewing through the tulle about 8/9 times and then scrunching it up and securing it on place on the comb. Repeat til you get to either end and tie several knots, securing with glue if you feel it needs it.

And done!! the tulle should fall nicely over with the shorter layer on top.  If you want, you can also add some beading(pearls or diamond beads or something...).  The bride wanted some diamond-y beads so I did this by putting a bead on a piece of thread and then pulling both ends through to the wrong side of the veil, tied the two ends together and secured with a little bit of hot glue(otherwise the thread will go around and be visible).  Repeat as many times as you like!

That's it...a 15 dollar bridal veil sure beats the 150 ones in the bridal stores!  Try it out for the next person who trusts you enough to give it a shot;) They can always go out and buy one if they hate it anyways and for 15 dollars, who cares!

Good luck in all your veil-making attempts.

Hope to be back soon! ~Krista

See some wedding pics here: http://cravingsomecreativity.blogspot.ca/2010/08/veil-cont.html

Share

4 comments:

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I need a picture of this... We've go a wedding coming up.
A friday's favorite for sure! :-)

Krista @ Craving Some Creativity said...

Our internet is up!! So I'll add pics as soon as I can:)

Bridget m said...

This was so helpful!! I bought a veil online and it didn't come with a comb so I had to buy one and it only took me 30 mins to put on the comb with the help of this page! Thank you so much!! I finished it just in time for my wedding! Did I mention it's next week? Ha

Anonymous said...

Very nice.. I am making a veil for my granddaughter's weeding and was looking for different ways to attach the veil to a comb without letting any of the comb show. I guess I will cover it with the same pearl trim I am putting around the bottom.

Post a Comment