Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Mother's Day? Oh...Crap!

Yup, that was me a few days ago realizing that Mother's day was this weekend and we were suddenly invited to celebrate at the in-laws this Friday!!  So a new project of mine I had in mind quickly transformed into a present for my MIL:) I hope she likes it.

For my engagement a couple of years ago my sister in law gave me this  beautiful frame that had sheet metal where glass should be so that it was magnetic! I loved it and there began my fascination with different things to create with frames.  I recently saw an idea to turn it into a serving tray so I pulled out my good will find and here's the result!

Unfortunately the pre-transformation pictures were lost somewhere along the way:(  But you can imagine a really ugly drawing in the center of this frame, ok? Seriously, awful landscape...got it?


So the frame was already white but needed a little spruce so I gave it several coats of cashmere paint, an off white color and added cabinet handles to the side for carrying purposes.  Then I took the picture from the center and glued material cut to fit to it, leaving one side open to fill with batting...or in this case, fluffy snow leftover from Christmas...use what's on hand right?? That's also why I used a cut up pillow case for the material...who's to know right?  Then close up the last side and place back in the center of the frame.   I also cut a piece of the material to cover up the rest of the back of the tray, just in case someone looks:)









































And there you go, Mother's day present? Check!

giveaways



 Transformation Thursday UndertheTableandDreaming 
Share

9 comments:

seven thirty three said...

I love this idea! Quick, inexpensive and looks great.

Thanks for linking up at Sugar & Spice.

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

How cool of an idea!! I am a new follower and came across your blog from The Shabby Chic Cottage! Wonder what I could make for the MIL by Sunday.....

Angie Holden said...

So cute!! I so want a tray and this might be the answer!

Unknown said...

I've been looking for a tray at my local goodwill and coming up empty handed. Hmmm - wheels are spinning now. Thank you!!! I'm sure I'll be stealing your idea soon. :)

raggygirlvintage said...

Looks great. I found a frame with the handles someone already put on, so just gotta do something with it. You'll be the favorite this weekend for sure!
Tracey

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

Hi Krista,
This is very lovely- and practical!
The handles are genius- I am forwarding this link to my daughters as a hint-hint!
They make breakfast in bed for me every year.
Yep, they do!
Thanks for showing this to us!
Blessings to you as you make your home!
~leslie

Sheri@childmade.com said...

Isn't that simple! I have tons of old frames that I didn't know what to do with. I bet it would look good with the glass left in and something done under the glass. Thanks for sharing! I've posted a link.

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

Looks great!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Love this! What a fabulous gift. It looks like it's right from a catalog. Wonderful job! Thanks so much for stopping by and joining the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it! Hope you have a great week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Post a Comment